Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
National Gazetteer (1868) - Luckington
"LUCKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 7 miles S.W. of Malmesbury, and 10 NW. of Chippenham, its post town. This was a possession of the Seymours, who received it from King Harold. It is situated close on the borders of Gloucestershire. Building stone is quarried, and there is a medicinal spring. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £292 15s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £278. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, with a tower. There is a Sunday-school, endowed with £7, and other charities, producing together £16 per annum. In the vicinity are barrows, kistvaens, and a cromlech."