Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Lyneham
"LYNEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Wootton Bassett, and 7 N.E. of Chippenham, its post town. The Wilts and Berks canal and Great Western railway pass to the N. of the parish. A priory of Augustine monks was founded near the village of Clack in this parish about the middle of the 12th century. The site is now occupied by a farmhouse called Bradenstoke Abbey. There are still traces of the old conventual buildings. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, value £270. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Michael, and has some monuments. Brome's free school is endowed with land producing £40. The other charities amount to about £60 per annum. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a National school. G. H. W. Heneage, Esq., is lord of the manor. Lyneham Court is the principal residence."
"CLACK, a hamlet in the parish of Lyneham, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Wootton Bassett. Fairs are held on the 5th April and 1st October."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]