National Gazetteer (1868) - Maddington
MADDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, 4 miles N. of Stapleford, and 6 N.W. of Amesbury. Devises is its post town. It lies on the main road between the two last-mentioned places, and with Rollston and Shrewton forms one township. The manor formerly belonged to Sir Stephen Fox, ancestor of the earls of Ilchester and lords Holland, who assigned to be paid out of the rents £188 to the hospital of Farley, which he founded in 1638. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £64. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to about £8 per annum. Some traces of ancient buildings are to be seen in the neighbourhood. The manor belongs to James Maton, Esq.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]