National Gazetteer (1868) - Maiden Bradley
"MAIDEN BRADLEY, a parish partly in the hundred of Mere, county Wilts, and partly in the hundred of Norton Ferris, county Somerset, 4 miles N. of Mere, and 8 E. of Bruton. Frome is its post town. It includes the hamlet of Yarnfield. In the reign of Henry II. a hospital was founded here, which, towards the close of the 12th century, became a monastery of Austin Friars, and, at the dissolution, was given to the Seymour family. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £121, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and has monuments of the Seymours. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. Maiden Bradley House is a seat of the Duke of Somerset."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]