"MANNINGFORD-ABBOTS, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Pewsey, its post town, and 8 S. of Marlborough. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the rivulet Avon. The village consists of a few straggling houses, and the inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The manor anciently belonged to Llanthony Abbey, and, after the Dissolution, was granted to the Duke of Somerset, lord protector. The surface is greatly undulating, and the soil a clayey loam alternating with sand. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £300. The church is a neat structure of ancient erection. There is a village school supported by subscription."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]