"MANNINGFORD-BRUCE, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Pewsey,- its post town, and 10 S.E. of Devizes. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the rivulet Avon, and is wholly agricultural. The surface is in general flat, but rises into gentle eminences towards the Downs. The soil is chiefly sandy, resting on a substratum of chalk, and, in other parts, peat, resting upon clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £310. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £310, in the patronage of trustees. The church is of great antiquity, and has a circular chancel at the E. end. It contains a memorial tablet of Mary Nicholas (or Mrs. Lane), who helped to rescue Charles II. after his defeat at the battle of Worcester. There is a National school for both sexes. John Grant, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]