"MARDEN, (or Merton), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 6½ miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Avon. There is a tumulus 40 feet in height and 240 in circumference, within a camp of 30 acres, where Etheldred was defeated by the Danes in 871. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £190, and the vicarial for £175. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £168, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing five bells. The interior of the church, as well as the exterior, is finely ornamented. The National school was erected in 1844. Stephen Richmond Neate, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Marden is 5 miles NE of East Lavington. Grid Ref SU085579. Postcode SN10 3RQ. Population 205 in 1831, 148 in 1951.