"MARLBOROUGH, a parish, post and market town, and municipal and parliamentary borough, locally in the hundred of Silkley, but exercising separate jurisdiction, county Wilts, 10 miles W. of Hungerford, and 14 E. of Devizes. It lies about 6 miles off the Berks and Hants line of railway, with which it is connected by a branch line, starting from Savernake station. This town is supposed by Camden to have been the Cunetio of Antoninus, and subsequently took the name of Marlbridge, or Marleberg, from the marl or chalk hills by which it is surrounded. At the time of the Domesday Survey it was held in royal demesne, and had a church, but the castle was not built till the subsequent reign. In the baronial war of John, the castle was alternately held by the king and the barons, and seems to have been an occasional residence of subsequent sovereigns till the time of Henry VII, and to have formed part of the dowries of several queens."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]