"MARTIN, a parish in the hundred of South Damerham, county Wilts, 9½ miles S.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Cranborne. It is situated on the borders of Hampshire and Dorsetshire, and contains the tythings of East and West Martin. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £80. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing three bells. The church has recently been thoroughly restored. The register dates from 1590 The parochial charities produce about £142, which goes towards the church and poor. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. There is a National school."