"MARTIN, a parish in the hundred of South Damerham, county Wilts, 9½ miles S.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Cranborne. It is situated on the borders of Hampshire and Dorsetshire, and contains the tythings of East and West Martin. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £80. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing three bells. The church has recently been thoroughly restored. The register dates from 1590 The parochial charities produce about £142, which goes towards the church and poor. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. There is a National school."
"ALLENFORD FARM, an extra-parochial place in the parish of Martin, hundred of Damerham, in the county of Wilts, 8 miles to the S.W. of Salisbury."
"TIDPIT, a tything in the parish of Martin, county Wilts, 8 miles S.W. of Salisbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]