"MILDENHALL, (or Minal), a parish in the hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, 1 mile N.E. of Marlborough, its post town, and 9½ miles W. of Hungerford. It is situated on the river Kennet, and contains the tythings of Poulton and Stitchcomb. Near Folly Farm is the site of the Roman station Cunetio, where many coins, tessellated pavements, &c., have been found. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is hilly, consisting partly of chalk downs. The soil is clay and chalk, mixed with flints. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £740. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £756. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a square tower. The interior of the church is lined with polished oak, and has pews and pulpit of the same, admirably carved. There is a tablet to the Rev. Charles Francis, M.A.; who was rector of this parish thirty-three years. The parochial charities produce about £95 per annum, of which £90 goes to Francis's Free Protestant school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Mildenhall is 2 miles E of Marlborough. Grid Ref SU210695. Postcode SN8 2LU. Population 427 in 1831, 414 in 1951.