Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Milton Lilbourne
"MILTON LILBOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, county Wilts, 2 miles N.E. of Pewsey, its post town, and 7 S. of Marlborough. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the tythings of Milton, Fyfield, and Clinch. The Kennet and Avon canal flows through the northern part of the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £111. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing six bells. There is a National school. The Marquis of Ailesbury is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"CLINCH, a tything in the parish of Milton Lilbourne, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles S. of Marlborough."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]