"MINETY, (or Minty), a parish in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minty, county Wilts, formerly in county Gloucester, 8 miles S. by W. of Cirencester, its post town, and 6½ N.E. of Malmesbury. It is a station on the Swindon and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near Bredon Forest. There is a mineral spring in the neighbourhood, and a stream called Swill-brook. The surface is level, and the soil generally a strong clay. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £166, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Wilts.
The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure with a square tower. The interior of the church contains the stump of a cross, a piscina, and monuments, and brasses of the Powlett and Pleydell families. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum. There is a National school supported by voluntary contributions. Admiral Penn's father was a resident of this parish. Minety House is the principal residence. Joseph R. Mullins, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Minety or Mynty is 5 miles NE of Malmesbury. Grid Ref SU030904. Postcode SN16 9PT. Upper Minety church at Grid Ref SU010913. Population 585 in 1831, 727 in 1951. Part was in Gloucestershire: Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of 1835 states:
The Church, with the parsonage house and some other houses, and about 40 acres of land, is in Wiltshire, and surrounded by that part of the parish which is in Gloucestershire, though the entire parish is bounded on every side by the former county