National Gazetteer (1868) - Minety
"MINETY, (or Minty), a parish in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minty, county Wilts, formerly in county Gloucester, 8 miles S. by W. of Cirencester, its post town, and 6½ N.E. of Malmesbury. It is a station on the Swindon and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near Bredon Forest. There is a mineral spring in the neighbourhood, and a stream called Swill-brook. The surface is level, and the soil generally a strong clay. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £166, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Wilts.
The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure with a square tower. The interior of the church contains the stump of a cross, a piscina, and monuments, and brasses of the Powlett and Pleydell families. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum. There is a National school supported by voluntary contributions. Admiral Penn's father was a resident of this parish. Minety House is the principal residence. Joseph R. Mullins, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]