National Gazetteer (1868) - Netheravon
"NETHERAVON, a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Amesbury, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Avon, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the tything of Chisenbury-de-la-Folly, and the well-wooded park of Netheravon. The soil is fertile. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an Enclosure Act in 1788. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £131, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a square embattled and pinnacled tower. It has been recently repaired and restored. The parochial charities are £7 yearly. There is a National school. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Netheravon House, formerly a seat of the Duke of Beaufort, is a brick mansion, now the residence of Sir M. E. H. Beach, Bart., who is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]