"NETTLETON, a parish in the hundred of North Damerham, county Wilts, 8 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town, and 10 N.E. of Bath. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Roman way Akeman Street. It is wholly agricultural, and is remarkable for a large barrow on which are three stones of a cromlech. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with 40 acres of woodland. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £408. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Thomas Penrice, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Nettleton is 8 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST822779. Population 448 in 1831, 489 in 1951.