Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
National Gazetteer (1868) - Nettleton
"NETTLETON, a parish in the hundred of North Damerham, county Wilts, 8 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town, and 10 N.E. of Bath. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Roman way Akeman Street. It is wholly agricultural, and is remarkable for a large barrow on which are three stones of a cromlech. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with 40 acres of woodland. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £408. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Thomas Penrice, Esq., is lord of the manor."