National Gazetteer (1868) - Newton Tony
"NEWTON-TONEY, a parish in the hundred of Amesbury, county Wilts, 9 miles N.E. of Salisbury, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Amesbury. The village, which principally consists of one long street, is situated on a stream flowing into the river Avon, near the eastern border of Salisbury Plain. The Andover and Salisbury branch line of the South-Western railway passes through the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £433, and the glebe comprises 42 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £441, in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a modern structure. The register dates from 1568. There is a National school, erected in 1857. Sir A. Malet is lord of the manor, and resides at Wilbury House, which is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]