National Gazetteer (1868) - North Newnton
"NORTH NEWNTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 8 miles S.E. of Devizes, and 4 S.W. of Pewsey. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Avon. The parish contains the tythings of Hilcott and Rainscombe, with Overton Heath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £176. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure, with a square tower. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel."
"HILCOTT, a tything in the parish of North Newnton, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 7 miles S.E. of Devizes, near the river Avon. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a licensed schoolroom for divine service."
"RAINSCOMBE, a tything in the parish of North Newnton, county Wilts, 3 miles S. of Marlborough."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]