Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - North Wraxall
"NORTH WRAXALL, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 7 miles N.W. of Chippenham, and 9 N.E. of Bath. It is situated on the line of the ancient Akeman Street, now the high road to Chippenham, and includes the hamlets of Upper Wraxall and Ford, at which latter place is a water-mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £485. The church, dedicated to St. James, contains tombs of the Yonges and Methuens. There is a National school. Lord Methuen is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]