"ORCHESTON ST. GEORGE, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 7 miles N.W. of Amesbury, the same distance E. of Lavington, and 12 S. by E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road between Salisbury and Devizes, traversing Salisbury Plain, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Elston. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £493 13s. 4d., and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £485, in the patronage of Wadham College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient structure, with E. and W. windows of stained glass. It was erected in the 14th century, but was completely restored in 1833. There is a National school. R. S. Chapman, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Orcheston St George is 6 miles NW of Amesbury. Grid Ref SU060449. Orcheston St George and Orcheston St Mary are shown together as Orcheston on current Ordnance Survey maps. Population 219 in 1831, 417 in 1951 for Orcheston.