Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Orcheston St Mary
"ORCHESTON ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, half a mile N. of Orcheston St. George, and 11 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It is situated near the road from Devizes to Salisbury. The glebe comprises 38 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £361, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square tower containing three bells. The chancel has recently been rebuilt. Miss M. F. Mills is lady of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]