"OVERTON, a parish in the hundreds of Elstub and Selkley, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Marlborough, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Kennet, which is here generally dry in summer. It is chiefly agricultural, but some of the females are engaged in making straw-plait. The parish includes the townships of Overton West, Stowell West, Alton Priors, and the hamlet of Lockeridge. The land is laid out in sheep farms. The living is a vicarage* consolidated with that of Fyfield and the curacy of Alton Priors, in the diocese of Sarum, value £319. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square pinnacled tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Overton is 3 miles SW of Marlborough. West Overton is at Grid Ref SU134682. Population 923 in 1831, 468 in 1951.