National Gazetteer (1868) - Overton
"OVERTON, a parish in the hundreds of Elstub and Selkley, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Marlborough, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Kennet, which is here generally dry in summer. It is chiefly agricultural, but some of the females are engaged in making straw-plait. The parish includes the townships of Overton West, Stowell West, Alton Priors, and the hamlet of Lockeridge. The land is laid out in sheep farms. The living is a vicarage* consolidated with that of Fyfield and the curacy of Alton Priors, in the diocese of Sarum, value £319. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square pinnacled tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum."
"LOCKERIDGE, a tything and hamlet in the parish of Overton, hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, 3 miles S.W. of Marlborough. It is situated in the vicinity of Lockeridge Dean. Lockeridge House and Lockeridge Cottage are the principal seats; the former is a very old mansion, built with brick."
"WEST STOWELL, a tything in the parish of Overton, county Wilts, 5 miles S.W. of Marlborough, on the river Kennet."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]