"PATNEY, a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 6 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Avon, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1778. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £225, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is an ancient edifice, with a wooden spired tower containing three bells. There is a National school. Lord Radnor is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Patney is 5 miles SE of Devizes. Grid Ref SU073585. Population 144 in 1831, 133 in 1951.