We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Pertwood
"PERTWOOD, a parish in the hundreds of Warminster and Dunworth, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Hindon, its post town, and 6½ S. of Warminster. The village, which consists of two or three farmhouses, is situated on Pertwood Down, and is wholly agricultural. The parish is traversed by the road between Shaftesbury and Warminster. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £70, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £56. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower containing one bell."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]