"PITTON, a chapelry and township in the parish and hundred of Alderbury, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Salisbury, its post town. The township, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage* of Alderbury, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure. The charities consist of Fox's hospital, founded in 1688 for 12 persons, and for teaching 20 children. There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Pitton and Farley were chapelries in the parish of Alderbury, and are both 4 miles East of Salisbury. Pitton is a mile North of Farley. Pitton is at Grid Ref SU213315, Farley at SU225296. Population of Farley 254 in 1831, Pitton & Farley 452 in 1951