National Gazetteer (1868) - Pitton and Farley
PITTON, a chapelry and township in the parish and hundred of Alderbury, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Salisbury, its post town. The township, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage* of Alderbury, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure. The charities consist of Fox's hospital, founded in 1688 for 12 persons, and for teaching 20 children. There is a National school.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]