"POOLE-KEYNES, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 6 miles S. of Cirencester, its post town, and 2 S.E. of Tetbury-road station, on the Great Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the line of the Cheltenham railway and the river Thomas, about a mile from its source. It is wholly agricultural, and in some places forest marble is found. The buildings are generally of stone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £367, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a square tower; it was rebuilt in 1778 on the site of an older one. There is a National school. Robert Gordon, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]