Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Porton
"PORTON, a chapelry in the parish of Idmiston, hundred of Alderbury, county Wilts, 6 miles N.E. of Salisbury, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Amesbury. It is a station on the South-Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Avon, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Idmiston, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a wooden belfry."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]