National Gazetteer (1868) - Potterne
"POTTERNE, a parish in the hundred of Potterne and Cannings, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Devizes, its post town, and 21 N. of Salisbury. The village, which is large, but chiefly agricultural, is situated near Potterne Butts. It consists of one principal street, extending N. and S. along the turnpike road from Devizes to Market Lavington and Sarum, and is about 2 miles distant from the Kennet and Avon canal. The land is undulating, diversified with plantations and well-cultivated fields. The parish includes the tythings of Marston and Worton. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £879, and the vicarial for £726; and there are about 23 acres of glebe.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £601, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a square embattled and pinnacled tower containing six bells. The church has a carved pulpit, and the interior was thoroughly restored in 1833. There is also a chapel-of-ease for the hamlets of Worton and Marston. The register dates from 1557. The parochial charities produce about £44 per annum. There is an endowed National school. There are two places of worship for the Wesleyans, and one for the Baptists. In the neighbourhood is an ancient building, designated the Porch, recently the "White Horse Inn", but originally the mansion of some noble family. The Bishop of Salisbury is lord of the manor."
"MARSTON, a tything in the parish and hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Devizes, its post town. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The church at Worton, which is situated close on the borders of this tything, is used by the inhabitants. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. The Bishop of Salisbury is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]