POULSHOT, a parish in the hundred of Melksham, county Wilts, 3½ miles S.W. of Devizes, its post town, and 7 S.E. of Melksham. The village, which is small, is situated at the extremity of a green; the high road intersecting the parish. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £380, and the glebe comprises 80 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £463, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a stone tower containing three bells. It has recently been restored at the expense of the rector, and stands about a mile S. of the village. There is a National school for both sexes. Walter Long, Esq., is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Poulshot is 4 miles SW of Devizes. Grid Ref ST970595. Population 348 in 1831, 309 in 1951.
Dixon, Nora - Down Poulshot, Poulshot Parish Trust, 2002.
Provides a history of the village. BBC Wiltshire Villages describe the book, with interviews. It is available from Devizes Books, Handel House, Sidmouth St, Devizes, Wilts, SN10 1LD, and from the Devizes Visitor Centre.
- St Peter, -, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Poulshot area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Poulshot, St Peter:
- A transcription of the section for Poulshot from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Poulshot from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Poulshot to another place.
- The entry for Poulshot from British History Online.
- View maps of Poulshot and places within its boundaries.