National Gazetteer (1868) - Preshute
PRESHUTE, a parish in the hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, half a mile S.W. of Marlborough, its post town. It is situated on the river Kennet, and forms part of the borough of Marlborough, containing the hamlets of Clatford, Eleot, and Manton. The village, which is irregularly built, is wholly agricultural. The appropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The tithes were commuted for corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1790. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £186, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient Norman edifice with a square tower. The interior of the church contains an ancient font of dark grey marble, and a brass to E. Bailey bearing date 1518. The font is said to be the one in which King John and Edward the Black Prince were baptized. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Marlborough union poorhouse is in this parish.
CLATFORD, a tything in the parish of Preshute, in the county of Wilts, 1 mile S.W. of Marlborough. Formerly a priory stood here, which was founded by Roger Mortimer shortly after the Conquest.
ELCOTE, a tything in the parish of Preshute, county Wilts, in the vicinity of Marlborough.
FURZE-COPE, a village in the parish of Preshute, county Wilts, in the vicinity of Marlborough.
MANTON, a tything in the parish of Preshute, hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, 1 mile S.W. of Marlborough. It is situated on the river Kennet.
ST. MARGARET'S, a village in the parish of Preshute and borough of Marlborough, county Wilts, opposite Marlborough. It is situated on the river Kennet, and had formerly a Gilbertine priory, founded in the reign of King John, and given at the Dissolution to the Stringers.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]