"RAMSBURY, a parish and post town in the hundred of the same name, county Wilts, 7 miles N.E. of Marlborough, 5 N.W. of Hungerford, and the same distance from its station on the branch line of the Great Western railway from Reading to Hungerford. The village, which is large, is situated on the banks of the river Kennet. Ramsbury was formerly a market town and a seat of the bishops of Wilts, in the 10th century, to which 13 bishops were appointed in succession when the see was annexed to that of Sherborne, county Dorset; and in 1072 the united sees were removed to Sarum. The parish, which is extensive, contains the hamlet of Park Town, with the tythings of Axford, Eastridge, and Whittonditch. The village chiefly consists of one long street, and contains several tanning, brewing, and malting establishments.
The ancient episcopal palace is still remaining, and is situated near the church, with which it once had a subterraneous communication. The glebe comprises about 70 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £219. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, has a massive square tower, strengthened with buttresses. The interior of the church contains tombs of the Dorells of Littlecot, of the Reads of Crowood, and a monument to Sir William Jones, late of Ramsbury House. This church was the mother church to Sarum, and was a cathedral up to the time of the Norman conquest. The vicarage is a modern house, built by a late incumbent.
There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Littlecot Park, Crowood, The Cedars, and Ramsbury Manor House are the principal residences. The last-named is situated in a park watered by a stream of the river Kennet; and was for many years the residence of Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. At Littlecot Park is preserved a collection of ancient armour. Fairs are held on the 14th May for cattle and toys, and on the 11th October for hiring servants."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Ramsbury is 5 miles NW of Hungerford. Grid Ref SU274716. Postcode SN8 2QH. Population 2,290 in 1831, 1,466 in 1951.
- Holy Cross, High Street, Church of England
- St Michael, Marlborough Road, Axford, Church of England
- Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, Other
- Congregational Chapel, Axford, Other
- Congregational Chapel, Other
- Medieval Chapel of Ease, Axford, Other
- Methodist Chapel, Axford, Other
- Methodist Church, Other
- Primitive Methodist Chapel, Other
- Primitive Methodist Chapel, Witcha Farm, Other
- Salvation Army Hall, Other
- United Reformed Church, Other
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Marridge Hill, Other
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ramsbury area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Ramsbury, Holy Cross:
- A transcription of the section for Ramsbury from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Ramsbury from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Ramsbury to another place.
- The entry for Ramsbury from British History Online.
- View maps of Ramsbury and places within its boundaries.