"RODBORNE CHENEY, a parish in the hundred of Highworth, county Wilts, 3 miles N.W. of Swindon, its post town. The parish is traversed by the Cheltenham railway, and by the North Wilts canal, which connects the Wilts and Berks with the Thames and Severn canal. The parish comprises the hamlets of Even Swindon, Morden, Haydon, and Haydon Wick. Limestone is extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £110. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a square tower in the centre containing five bells. The church was restored and enlarged in 1848. The parochial charities produce about £47, of which £43 goes to Wayt's endowed school. The Independents have a place of worship."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Rodbourne Cheney is now in Swindon, 3 miles NW of the centre. Grid Ref SU140866. Postcode SN2 2PA. Population 574 in 1831.