National Gazetteer (1868) - Savernake
"NORTH and SOUTH SAVERNAKE, an ecclesiastical district in the hundreds of Kinwardstone and Selkley, county Wilts, 2 miles S.E. of Marlborough, and 8 from Hungerford. It is a station on the Hungerford branch of the Great Western railway. It is situated in Savernake Forest, which is 16 miles in circumference, and formerly belonged to Queen Eleanor. It was granted to the Seymour family, through whom it came to the Marquis of Ailesbury, of Savernake Lodge and Tottenham Park. The two hamlets are extra parochial. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £150. The church, situated at Cadley, was erected at the sole expense of the Marquis of Ailesbury. There is a National school for both sexes, also built at the expense of the same nobleman."
"CADLEY, an extra-parochial district, with North_and_South_Savernake in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts. It is in Savernake Forest, an extensive tract between Marlborough and Ludgershall."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]