"SEEND, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Melksham, county Wilts, 4 miles W. of Devizes, and 3½ S.E. of Melksham, its post town. It is a station on the Devizes branch of the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal. It was formerly held by the Despencers and Bohuns, who erected the castle. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Melksham, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, has a square embattled and pinnacled tower. There is a school for both sexes, built in 1832, at the expense of S. Bruges, Esq. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Near the church is a strong chalybeate spring."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Seend was a chapelry in the parish of Melksham, and is 3 miles SE of Melksham. Grid Ref ST944610. Postcode SN12 6NX. Population 1,144 in 1831, 865 in 1951.