"SEMINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Steeple Ashton, hundred of Whorwelsdown, county Wilts, 2 miles S. of Melksham railway station, and 3 N.E. of Trowbridge. Chippenham is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal, and a branch of the river Avon. It is chiefly agricultural. The Melksham union poorhouse is in this chapelry. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Steeple Ashton, in the diocese of Sarum. The church is dedicated to St. George. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Semington is 3 miles NE of Trowbridge. Grid Ref ST899605. Postcode BA14 6JS. Population 319 in 1831, 546 in 1951.