"SHREWTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, 6 miles N.W. of Amesbury, and 11 N. of Salisbury. Devizes is its post town. The village is situated on Salisbury Plain, and is chiefly agricultural. Great damage was done to this village in 1841 by an inundation caused by excessive rains. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £230, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1854. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum, which is devoted to educational purposes, also £15 from enclosed land for the repairs of the church. There is a National school, also a Dissenting chapel. C. Wansbrough, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Shrewton is 6 miles NW of Amesbury. Grid Ref SU066437. Postcode SP3 4LE. Population 491 in 1831, 1,259 in 1951.
- St Mary, B3086, Church of England
- Shrewton Methodist Church, High Street, Methodist
- Chapel, Other, Maddington
- St Mary, Other, Maddington
- St Andrew, Other, Rollestone
- Bethesda Baptist Chapel, Other
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Other
- Zion Baptist Chapel, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shrewton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Shrewton, St Mary:
Description and Travel
Shrewton Village Website has a description of the village and the River Till, and a timeline (from 4000 BC!) for the Till Valley.
- A transcription of the section for Shrewton from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Shrewton from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Shrewton to another place.
- The entry for Shrewton from British History Online.
- View maps of Shrewton and places within its boundaries.