National Gazetteer (1868) - Shrewton
"SHREWTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, 6 miles N.W. of Amesbury, and 11 N. of Salisbury. Devizes is its post town. The village is situated on Salisbury Plain, and is chiefly agricultural. Great damage was done to this village in 1841 by an inundation caused by excessive rains. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £230, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1854. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum, which is devoted to educational purposes, also £15 from enclosed land for the repairs of the church. There is a National school, also a Dissenting chapel. C. Wansbrough, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]