"SOPWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 6½ miles S.W. of Tetbury, and 7 S.W. of Malmesbury. The village is situated on the north-western border of the county, and is wholly agricultural. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as being held by William d'Ewe; from whom it came to the family of Maltravers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £265. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mary. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]