"SOUTH NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 2 miles N. of Wilton, its post town and railway station, and 5 N.W. of Salisbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wiley, and is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the tythings of Stotford, Ugford, and three others. The road from Bath to Salisbury passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £221. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient, structure, with a square tower containing four bells. The whole edifice is in a ruinous condition. The register dates from 1695. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There are a National school, and a place of worship for the Dissenters."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
South Newton is 2 miles N of Wilton. Grid Ref SU087343. Postcode SP2 0QY. Population 565 in 1831, 436 in 1951. For photo of church see Geograph photo by ChurchCrawler - and for other photos nearby see Geograph photos in grid square SU0834.