National Gazetteer (1868) - South Newton

"SOUTH NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 2 miles N. of Wilton, its post town and railway station, and 5 N.W. of Salisbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wiley, and is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the tythings of Stotford, Ugford, and three others. The road from Bath to Salisbury passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £221. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient, structure, with a square tower containing four bells. The whole edifice is in a ruinous condition. The register dates from 1695. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There are a National school, and a place of worship for the Dissenters."

"BURDEN'S HALL, a tything in the parish of South Newton, hundred of Branch and Dole, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the N. of Wilton."

"CHILHAMPTON, a tything in the parish of South Newton, in the county of Wilts, 1 mile N. of Wilton."

"LITTLE WISHFORD, a tything in the parish of South Newton, hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 3 miles N.W. of Wilton."

"STOFORD, a tything in the parish of South Newton, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Wilton, on the river Wiley."

"UGFORD, a tything in the parish of South Newton, county Wilts, 2 miles N. W. of Wilton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]