"SOUTHBROOM, a chapelry in the parish of Bishop's Cannings, hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 2 miles from Devizes, its post town. It is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal. The Devizes Union poorhouse and a lunatic asylum are situated in this district. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern structure. Southbroom House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The parish called Southbroom in some lists (LDS Church Family History Library Catalogue, Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers) is called Devizes, Southbroom St James in other lists (County Record Office). It was a Chapelry of the parish of Bishops Cannings, Devizes Union. It is now part of Devizes, East of the centre. The church is in Estcourt Street just before the famous Moonrakers Crammer Pond, with Devizes Green to the left. Estcourt St follows on from route A361, London Rd to Devizes. It is the Wiltshire Regiment Garrison Church. Grid Ref SU010614. Postcode SN10 1LW.