"SOUTHBROOM, a chapelry in the parish of Bishop's Cannings, hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 2 miles from Devizes, its post town. It is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal. The Devizes Union poorhouse and a lunatic asylum are situated in this district. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern structure. Southbroom House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The parish called "Southbroom" in some lists (LDS Church Family History Library Catalogue, Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers) is called "Devizes, Southbroom St James" in other lists (County Record Office). It was a Chapelry of the parish of Bishops Cannings, Devizes Union. It is now part of Devizes, East of the centre. The church is in "Estcourt Street" just before the famous "Moonrakers" Crammer Pond, with Devizes Green to the left. Estcourt St follows on from route A361, London Rd to Devizes. It is the Wiltshire Regiment Garrison Church. Grid Ref SU010614. Postcode SN10 1LW.
- For current information - St James's Church website.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Southbroom, St James:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1572-1974, Mar 1572-1979, Bur 1572-1946
- BTs with gaps from 1620
- IGI Chr 1572-1770 Batch C059152 and 1771-1875 Batch C059151 and 1876-79 Batch C059153, Mar 1572-1753 Batch M059152 and 1754-1883 Batch M059151
- VRI Chr 1876-1879
- WFHS transcript Chr and Bur 1576-1837
- White Horse Baptisms 1574-1837
- Phillimore Marriages 1572-1837 (vol 6)
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1572-1837
- National Burial Index 1568-1837
- A transcription of the section for Southbroom from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Southbroom from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Southbroom to another place.
- The entry for Southbroom from British History Online.
- View maps of Southbroom and places within its boundaries.