Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Standlynch
"STANDLYNCH, a parish in the hundred of Downton, county Wilts, 5 miles S.E. of Salisbury. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the river Avon, and is wholly agricultural. Trafalgar House, the principal residence, is in a well-wooded park. It was purchased by the crown trustees to be conferred on the brother of Lord Nelson in 1805."
"TRAFALGAR, the seat of Earl Nelson, in the parish of Standlynch, county Wilts, 4 miles S.E. of Salisbury. It was purchased by the nation of the Dawkinses, and presented to the family of the admiral in 1805."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]