National Gazetteer (1868) - Stanton Fitzwarren
"STANTON-FITZWARREN, a parish in the hundred of Highworth, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Highworth, its post town, and 5 N. of Swindon. The village, which is small, is situated near the ancient Ryknield Street, on the road to Cirencester. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Stone is quarried. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £174. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has a square tower, with a clock and three bells. The interior contains a font of great antiquity. There is a school for both sexes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]