Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Stanton St Bernard
"STANTON ST. BERNARD, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 6 miles N.E. of Devizes, and 8 S.W. of Marlborough. Pewsey is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £222. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower and two bells. It has recently been rebuilt. The register dates from 1568. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. N. Stephens, the Nonconformist, was born here, and died in 1677. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]