National Gazetteer (1868) - Stapleford
STAPLEFORD, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, 4¼ miles N.W. of Wilton, its post town, and 7¼ N.W. of Salisbury. The village is situated on the river Wiley, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £105, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower and five bells, and has been recently restored. The register dates from 1637. Lord Ashburton and H. Seymour, Esq., are lords of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]