Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
National Gazetteer (1868) - Steeple Langford
"LANGFORD STEEPLE, (or Great Langford), a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Wilton. The parish includes the tything of Hanging Langford. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the navigable river Wiley and the road to Bath. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £720. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £600, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £3. On a hill called Yarnborough Castle are traces of a British camp."